- What is the firmware automatic update function?
- Automatic firmware updates are enabled by default on entry models
What is the firmware automatic update function?
FortiGate added automatic firmware update functionality from firmware versions 7.2.1 and 7.4.0.
When this feature is first added, it is disabled by default, and when enabled, it behaves as follows.
- Check for updates daily.
- If new firmware is found, the new firmware installation will be scheduled after the configured number of delay days.
- At the scheduled upgrade time, FortiGate attempts to upgrade to the latest patch of the same [major.minor] version as the current version (only performs patch level upgrades)
The configuration item to enable/disable automatic firmware updates is
set auto-firmware-upgrade in
config system fortiguard.
config system fortiguard set auto-firmware-upgrade <disable|enable> end
If this setting item is set to the default value, the item will not be displayed using the
show command, and you will need to execute
show full-configuration to display it.
Automatic firmware updates are enabled by default on entry models
The firmware automatic update function was initially disabled by default, but from v7.2.6/v7.4.1 onwards, it has been changed to enabled by default for entry models (less than 100 series).
*Applicable to FortiGate-40 to 90 series
From now on, automatic firmware updates must be explicitly disabled.
In general, firmware updates for network devices are carefully verified and verified in advance.
Therefore, it is not a good idea to leave the firmware updated automatically (without permission).
Therefore, disabling the automatic firmware update feature should be a routine when configuring the FortiGate in the future.
*For applicable models
Precautions when upgrading to v7.2.6/v7.4.1 or later
Please be careful when upgrading from a version earlier than v7.2.6/v7.4.1 to v7.2.6/v7.4.1 or later.
If automatic firmware update is disabled before the version update and is upgraded to v7.2.6/v7.4.1 or later, automatic firmware update will be
Therefore, it is necessary to disable automatic firmware updates after upgrading.
Points to note when comparing configurations before and after version upgrade
Starting from v7.2.6/v7.4.1, the firmware automatic update feature is enabled by default.
Therefore, if the setting value is enable, the corresponding setting item will not be displayed using the
- In versions earlier than v7.2.6/v7.4.1, if automatic firmware update is disabled by default, the corresponding setting item is not displayed by the
- In v7.2.6/v7.4.1 and later versions, if automatic firmware update is enabled by default, the corresponding setting item is not displayed by the
In other words, after upgrading from a version earlier than v7.2.6/v7.4.1 to v7.2.6/v7.4.1 or later, if you compare the configurations obtained using the
show command, no differences will appear for the relevant setting items. Therefore, it may be overlooked.
For accurate comparison you need to run